Subject: Re: PVR Drives
From: Darren Metcalfe <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 13:34:15 -0500

>>I have a PVR and use the Seagate 15550N Barracuda 4G drives exclusively.  I
>>have four of them mounted in an external cabinet,
>>
>What can you tell us about the sustained transfer rate of these drives? How
>much did they cost? Also, some info on your entire editing setup would be
>welcome, including host computer, edit software, and audio card. I am
>particularly concerned about decent nonlinear software, as I've heard that
>Razor has had some teething problems. Thanks!

I bought a 15550N recently for about $1300. I plan to use it on a PVR sometime 
down the road. I believe the sustained xfer is 5.5MB/sec, good enough for 
highest quality on the PVR or Flyer.

I was demoed Speed Razor MachIII last weekend. The guy sorta knew the software 
but I really didn't see what I wanted to see in the 1.5 hours I spent. What 
I'd like to know, and didn't really find out:

Are Keying effects stackable? Can I Chroma Key a sequence and then use a 
Motion/Distortion effect to move the keyed object around? My $1400 decision 
depends on the quality, ease and speed of doing this sort of thing.

-- 
Darren Metcalfe
[email-masked]

"I met myself in a dream, and I just wanted to tell ya,
 everything was all right, I'm beginning to see the light."
 - Lou